Its Time To Conquer The Kaleji
If you are a true Kaleji lover, then you really don’t have to wait for Eid ul Azha to enjoy the fantastic taste. Winter & Holidays are the perfect coupled timing to relive this divine dish. Enjoy the exotic smell of fried Masala Mutton Kaleji in those lazy Sunday brunches and let it make you lost in its beautiful texture and flavor all day long.
Liver (kaleji in Urdu)is considered to be a great reservoir of high-quality protein. It carries all of the fat soluble vitamins A, D, E and K. Vitamin A, helps in reducing stress. It also contains all of the B vitamins in abundance, especially vitamin B12. Liver is by nature our best source of folate and iron and highly recommended for anemic people. Not only this, liver is also full of purines, nitrogen-containing compounds that serve as precursors for DNA and RNA.
Well thats enough of benefits and let’s get straight to how it can be made in the most scrumptious way.
Its my all time favourite Bhuni Kaleji which is a must ritual dish on Baqr Eid in my home and often made on normal days.
Bhuni Mutton Kaleji
1 kilo Mutton Kaleji (or Beef)
1 cup cooking oil
2 medium size onion sliced
3 medium size tomato sliced
4-5 tbsp yoghurt
1 and half tbsp blended garlic & ginger
1 tsp methi dana (fenugreek seeds)
3 tbsp coriander powder
2 tbsp chillie powder
1/2 tsp haldi (turmeric)
1 tsp cumin powder
Salt to taste
3 Chopped green chillies
Half bunch Chopped coriander
1 tsp qusoor ki methi (optional)
1. Blend chopped onions & tomato and make a smooth paste.
2. Heat oil in your cooking pan & add methi dana at low flame. Let it fry untill you smell the aroma & hear the crackling sound.
3. Add the blended paste & fry it untill it gains a thick consistency.
4. Add ginger garlic paste & all mentioned spices and cook ( bhunofy) it on low flame till all spices are well mixed.
5. Gradually add youghurt and keep cooking till oil appears on surface.
6. Now add kaleji chunks & stir in masala for 3 mins and then add water only to tender the kaleji.
7. One needs to check kaleji time to time to see the tenderness & add water in bits. Otherwise too much water will destroy the taste.
8. As kaleji gets tender add chopped green chillies & coriander and qusoor ki methi (optional). Allow it to simmer for 2 minutes.
Your bhuni kaleji is all ready to be served to your empty growling tummies
9. Serve it with Parathas, Naan or plain roti. Along with fresh salad and raita if one likes.
Do try the dish and let me know how it turned up on your table